Tuesday 22 April 2014

3D Design: Unit Final


First things first, this project took me a lot - and I reiterate the word 'a lot' - of time both to construct the idea and then to manufacture a working prototype, so I'd appreciate a pat on the back or something. 

Without further ado I introduce to you my 3D printed model of a CNC routed, Gothic bed frame (that's a lot to say in one mouthful). The bed frame is designed to be made from vertically placed pieces of individual ply which have each been laser cut with the same pattern and then adhered together to form the main structure of the frame. Also the bed comes with a series of different sized draws; some that stretch only half way beneath the bed and other that span the whole length, which would allow for the bed to be pressed up against the wall. 

Because of the small size, I wasn't able to print the cylindrical draws that would go in the headboard of the bed that would act like storage canisters. I'd also planned to have several of the draw fronts being digital clocks, electrical charging stations and lights, which would allow for the consumer to pick and choose attachments for an all in one storage solution. 

SolidWorks nearly broke me in the process of working out measurements and building up a miniature replica of my concept, and it took a whole 12+ hours of printing in the 3D printer, but after all of those hours of banging my head against the key board, I came out with this killer example of Gothic/Contemporary furniture.

But if you think it ends there, than you are sorely mistaken. To compliment the Gothic bed frame, I also produced an accompanying table and chair set made of ply that follows a more haunted theme, seen in the skeletal shape of the chair and table legs. The aim of my project was to design articles of furniture inspired by gothical influences. For ease of storage, the table and chairs can be diassembled, by taking the glass panes out of the table legs, removing the centre wedge and sliding the table legs off of the binding ring that holds them together; therefore providing an easier size for storage and transport. 

Because of the amount of ply the design would use in practical application, I tesselated the design in such a way that I made use of as much of the material as possible. As a result of this, I designed a smaller version of the legs and produced cross sectioning candle holders which easily slot together and reduce the amount of waste material on the ply sheet.

No comments:

Post a Comment